Tekano: (Various Vacancies x2)
Location: Isivivana Centre, Khayelitsha, Cape Town
Tekano (from the Sesotho word for equity) is a multi-sectoral, non-partisan, non-denominational, rights-based, non-profit organisation, which began operations in early 2017. Tekano’s purpose is to build the capacity of visionary, values-based, change-makers to advocate for health equity in South Africa. Tekano aims to train cohorts leaders to champion health equity, human rights and social justice in Southern Africa. They form part of a global network of similar initiatives in South East Asia, Australia, Ireland, the United States and United Kingdom.
Tekano is currently seeking to recruit a staff team of individuals sharing two critical traits:
- Individuals who are committed to human rights, equity and social justice evidenced by sustained involvement in activities which have challenged unfair health, social, economic and political structures and arrangements
- Individuals who want to continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire in an environment driven by continuous collaborative learning and improvement at all levels in the organisation
The following positions are now open for applications:
- The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager
The MEL Manager is responsible for leading and managing the monitoring, evaluation and learning function at TEKANO (both internal and external). The role will develop and implement an M & E, strategy and framework They will develop appropriate MEL tools and lead the organisation in ongoing learning processes and will closely work with the Programmes and Operations to implement any changes to the organisational strategies
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning – Lead on the design, implementation, analysis and interpretation of all monitoring strategies and tools at Tekano to assess if Tekano’s Fellowship programme interventions have achieved their intended objectives and document these. Provide guidance and input to the Programmes team to ensure that the fellowship programme and all other interventions respond to the results of Tekano’s monitoring processes.
- Research – Conduct or commission continuous research into cutting edge thinking on addressing the social structural and commercial determinants of health in South Africa and the global south to advice the Programmes team on the development of its programmes and activities
- Capacity Building – Build MEL skills capacity within TEKANO by providing training interventions to staff Fellow where appropriate
- Knowledge Management – Develop a learning and knowledge management system for TEKANO and ensure that it is used across the organisation
- Stakeholder Engagement – Liaise with important stakeholders in M&E and establish and maintain relations
- People Management – Manage MEL staff to ensure high performance; Support both the professional and personal development of staff; Ensure that the team delivers their planned outcomes
- 8 -10 Years’ work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation environment at a senior level
- Clear track record of designing and implementing MEL processes and methodologies that organisations can use to measure their outcomes
- Experience in social justice advocacy initiatives
- Experience and comfort in collaborating with communities and constituencies of people affected by health or other inequities.
- Proficiency in electronic communications and standard office software.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- An additional South African language would be an advantage.
The Executive Assistant is a dedicated administration and coordination support to the Chief Executive Office, enabling the CEO and Team to perform their duties effectively and efficiently. They are also the face and representative of the office of the CEO to all stakeholders and always has to uphold its stature. The role handles information requests, is a liaison with various functions, is responsible for the coordination of the management team activities, events and meetings. The role also provides secretariat and administrative support to the TEKANO Board.
2. Executive Assistant
- Executive Secretarial Support – Manage the office of the CEO, taking responsibility for the effective and efficient functioning of the Executive Office; Maintain the CEO’s calendar and ensure that their time is managed efficiently; Keep track of action points required from the CEO by the Board and all stakeholders (internal and external) are performed in time and efficiently; Maintain a database of high-level partners and contact/telephone lists; Perform high-level research on a variety of subjects as requested by the CEO. Maintain high levels of confidentiality and professionalism, ensuring that the image of office of the CEO and the organisation are held in high regard at all times
- Administrative report – Set up and maintain a suitable filing system for the Chief Executive and Executive Management Team; Coordinate the CEO and the Executive Management Team’s travel arrangements; Take minutes, distribute and follow up on action points; Assist with CE’s business expenses and assists with submission of forms and supporting documents
- Board administrative support- Provide administrative and logistics support to TEKANO Board meetings; Prepare Board information packs for meetings and distribute; Coordinate travel arrangements for the Board members for Board meetings; ensure that any Board related expenses are submitted to Finance and paid timeously
- Internal Communication – Coordinate information within the Chief Executive office; Develop and circulate internal communications within TEKANO in relation to CEO activities; Work with the Communication Specialist and facilitate information sharing between the Chief Executive office, other teams and stakeholders; Draft and prepare correspondence on behalf of the CEO for her/his signature.
- At least 7 Years’ executive administrative experience in a fast-paced environment, 3 – 5 years dedicated Personal Assistant experience; Diploma/ degree or professional qualification in Business Administration and Secretarial services or related studies; Equivalent work experience.
- Valid driver’s licence; Proficiency in electronic communications and standard office software; Fluent in written and spoken English. An additional South African language would be an advantage.
- Experience and Comfort in working with and managing an office and Executive with competing demands on their time and an ability to help them manage their schedule efficiently
- Comfort in offering high level support remotely and after hours
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com, with the position job title in the subject line:
- CV (with 3 contactable references)
- Cover letter
Closing date: 31 July 2020.
No telephonic queries please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Selection will be a multi-phase process and may require additional submissions. If no notification of appointment is received within 2 months of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Tekano is committed to affirmative action and employment equity. The right to modify job descriptions, titles and requirements or not to make an appointment is reserved.