Call for Applications
Atlantic Fellows for Health Equity in South Africa Based at Tekano
Leadership Development Opportunity for 2022
Are you passionate about health equity and social justice? Are you a changemaker and eager to contribute to change in your community and society at large? Are you keen to learning and working with others to achieve that change?
This may be a leadership development opportunity for you!
The Tekano Leadership Development Fellowship Programme is based on the belief that an inclusive, equitable, economically productive and healthy society comes from action that addresses the unequal distribution of resources and opportunities. Equally, it challenges racism, classism, xenophobia, sexism and heteronormativity. Tekano is part of a global network of similar initiatives in South East Asia, Australia, Ireland, the United States, the United Kingdom and here in South Africa.
In South Africa our focus is on developing and strengthening progressive leadership to tackle entrenched structural and socioeconomic inequities that characterise South Africa and which impact the health of its population. At Tekano we believe that if we invest in the leadership skills and innovation that emerge from a cadre of progressive social change leaders, and equip them with tools and opportunities to connect action with a deeper understanding of the systemic causes of injustice and socioeconomic inequities, their collective social change advocacy will contribute invaluably to the realisation of an inclusive, economically vibrant, and equitable South Africa.
Tekano’s approach to leadership embodies the principles of Pan Africanism, feminism and decoloniality. It creates spaces for Fellows to connect action with a deeper understanding of the systemic causes of injustice. It is expressly committed to building catalytic communities of action, strengthening local voices and capabilities to promote health equity for all.
Tekano is now taking applications for the 2022 Fellowship Programme
We accept applications from individuals who:
- Are of African descent who reside and/or work in South Africa.
- Demonstrate leadership and commitment to social justice, preferably linked to health equity
- Commit to attend and participate fully in all programme activities of the Fellowship Programme, and complete required tasks within deadlines provided.
- If employed, have their employers support for participation in the Fellowship. Written proof will be required and a discussion with the employer will be held where necessary.
- Have an idea for a social change initiative and a commitment and passion to undertake it in collaboration with others. (Kindly note that although applicants will be chosen based on their social change initiative, once applicants are accepted into the Fellowship Programme, they will be expected to work collaboratively with other Fellows working on a similar thematic topic.)
While this call is national, please note that for the 2022 Fellow selection, priority will be given to applicants who are from the Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga and the North West.
Applications close on the 16 August 2021. Please note that we are ONLY accepting applications via our online portal. If you are unable to access the portal, encounter any technical issues, or have any queries, please contact us at email@example.com or send a WhatsApp message to 074 936 9439.
For any other queries refer to the FAQs on our website.
Key Dates for selection of Cohort 4 Fellows
16 August 2021
LONGLIST OF CANDIDATES ANNOUNCED
End August/Early September 2021
SHORTLIST OF CANDIDATES ANNOUNCED
End October 2021
ANNOUNCEMENT OF FELLOWS
Mid November 2021