On the 15 April 2020 Tekano put out a call for Fellows to submit proposals for collaborative social change initiatives. Our criteria for determining support for these COVID-19 initiative included that:
- They must advance social change within the broad agenda for health equity
- They must highlight and support the plight of vulnerable and marginalised communities.
- They must be collective and/or collaborative initiatives.
- They should not be duplicating the work of others involved in COVID-19 efforts. They can however complement or support existing initiatives.
- Fellows’ involved in the initiative must be prepared to share their work and stories via a Tekano’s broader COVID-19 response through developing podcasts and documentaries.
A COORDINATED INTERSECTIONAL APPROACH TO ADVOCATING FOR THE INCLUSION OF SEX WORKERS AND LGBTI+ PEOPLE IN THE STATE’S EMERGENCY RESPONSE TO COVID-19
By Dudu Dlamini and Lance Louskieter.
BUILDING COMMUNITY RESILIENCE AMONG HEALTHCARE WORKERS AND COMMUNITY VOLUNTEERS UNDER COVID-19 AND BEYOND
By Rene Sparks
SUPPORTING A COMMUNITY OF NON SOUTH AFRICAN INFORMAL TRADERS IN THE MIDST OF THE LOCKDOWN
By Mafoko Phomane, Kentse Radebe and Tinashe T. Njanji
ACCESS TO QUALITY WATER FOR RURAL AND TOWNSHIP HOUSEHOLDS IN KWAZULU/NATAL
By Sibongile Mtungwa.
COVID-19 KHAYELITSHA #MASKS4ALL
By Lena Stofile, Wendy Somlavi and Nikki Vermeulen