REA BUA – HERSTORY
Tekano is looking for 5 filmmakers/companies to produce 5 short films of 10-minute each.
Are you an independent film-maker with a passion for social justice?
Do you have experience in documentary or short-films?
Are you a film-maker with a passion for feminism telling feminist stories?
ABOUT THE CALL
In commemoration of Winnie Madikizela Mandela’s 85th birthday on 26 September 2021, Tekano seeks to revisit the legacy of ‘defiant women’ in order to reshape the narrative of women’s contribution to the struggle for liberation, justice and health equity.
ABOUT THE FILMS
Five short documentary films of 10 minutes each, will explore the following themes:
Exploring Winnie Mandela’s impact on the town as a medical social worker who harnessed her skills and expertise to subvert the State’s attempt to isolate her. And to illustrate how social workers and community activists became a critical part of the resistance movement.
2. Nizalwa Ngobani
Thandiswa Mazwai and the history and reason for the song that has become an anthem in honour of uMama’s legacy. Exploring the ways in which artists, such as Thandiswa Mazwai and others, used art, music and culture to resist oppression and assert black equality.
3. Race & Healthcare under Apartheid
A short film documenting the structural inequalities built into the political economy of South Africa, with a specific emphasis on health inequity as a critical component of Apartheid.
4. Mine work & extractive industries and their impacts on women
A short film documenting the extractive industries – gold, coal, copper, diamonds, and other mining enterprises – and their impacts on black women under Apartheid and today.
5. Teachers, Nurses & Factory Workers
A short film documenting the racialised politics of black women’s professions as care-worker as first resort for the educated and factory-work and domestic labour as the inevitable destiny of uneducated women.
1. B.E.E.Level1 compliant;
2. Majority or wholly Women-owned and lead companies
3. Proven experience in short-form film making of different genres(commercials, PSAs, animation, etc)
4. Submissions will be accepted for all genres, including documentary, animation and animated graphic;
5. Proven experience in production of creative social justice content;
6. Ability to produce high quality work on tight deadline;
7. Creative/content team must include individuals with proven commitment to feminism and social justice.
8. SARS Tax compliant.
9. Submission must indicate which of the 5 films you wish to pitch for – individual companies can pitch for a maximum of 2 films only.
10. Submissions must include a brief creative treatment that includes format and genre.